Club Committee Minutes
July 27, 2003
Location: Mike's Apartment
Attendance: Bernie, Mike, Mark, Matt, Lillian, Steven
1. Because of bank fees, Bernie had to close our previous bank
account on March 2003. A motion was passed to reopen a bank
account so that funds from the SAC equity award, a cheque of $100.00
could be deposited. A motion was also passed to allow Bernie to
co-sign this cheque.
2. As a result of closing the bank account on March 2003, Bernie had to
pay a fee of $18.53. A motion was passed to pay Bernie back this
3. We were presented with 3 financial statements:
sheet – what we have and what we owe
b. Cash flow – where money comes from and
c. Transaction report – details of all
These are usually presented at the end of the school year. These
statements are posted on the website. For security reasons, this
is only accessible to those presented with the link.
4. By acclamation, Michael Nicholson is the CRO for the by-election for
the vice presidential position. Michael is in charge of calling
and managing the election ASAP. Since the previous president,
Jennifer Hamilton had to leave the group for school, she is not able to
complete her full mandate to October 2003. As a result, there is a
need for a new vice-president to fulfill specific tasks from September
on to the next election. The VP will be involved in club
recognition, social events for September and advertising the group.
5. A motion for a vote of confidence, in support of outgoing
vice-president Jennifer Hamilton was passed. Mark has volunteered
to make a card for members of the group to sign. It will be
circulated at the next club meeting.
6. The group has a new website domain name: queeratsmc.net
Discussion ensued regarding adding new sections: new links/contacts and
history/publications. Lillian has volunteered to find other
pertinent links. These will be added only in consultation with
Bernie and members through the listserve. A motion was passed to
allow Lillian moderator privileges to the QaSMC yahoo groups.
7. We were presented with rough drafts of policies:
Finance policy – this is to allay any criticism from "your friendly
Advertising policy – we considered advertising at health day, clubs
day, pride, coming out day, LGBTOUT office, Jude Tate's office and
The rough policies will be posted on the website and are open for
8. A motion was passed to allow Bernie to investigate and post
advertisement of the group for free in Toronto LGBTIT2Q community
9. Bernie reported on the formation of new yahoo groups:
QGCE – queer groups in Catholic Education
Progressive/Liberal Catholics of St. Mike's
10. A short discussion of a letter from our "friendly neighbourhood"
SMCSU ensued. Mike's letter, stating that our constitution
does in fact have Catholic aspects to it was highlighted. Further,
we thought it inconsistent that this group would have to maintain
Catholic aspects whereas other groups do not. We admired the
president of SMCSU for his satisfactory knowledge of the
issue. Eventually we pondered on the relationship between the SMC
principal and the SMCSU president.
11. A motion was passed to request support from various student
unions and federations, e.g. SAC, GSU and APUS.
12. A handout of constitutional amendments were passed out regarding,
co-signatures on bank accounts:
President and the Club Committee's designate
executives at large
These are to be voted on at the next meeting.
13. Discussion of progress with residence councils:
Loretto and St. Joe's Councils
14. A brief discussion of September activities ensued. This was
truncated and will be picked up in detail at the next meeting.
An advertisement and a publishing of
the inclusiveness statement in "The Mike".
15. The next club committee meeting is set for 6:30PM August
16th. Location TBA.
Back to q@SMC